Re: Dangling Modifiers

Subject: Re: Dangling Modifiers
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:36:10 -0500

Dana Worley wrote:

> Referring to preposition use, Ellen said:
>
> > which we disucss every time, is that it makes for awkward sentence
> > constructions that do not mirror the way people talk.
>
> and she further presented the example:
>
> > "Find the course that you want to add an assistant instructor to."
> > CORRECT: Find the course to which you want to add an assistant instructor.
> > (again, a bit awkward)
>
> I am afraid I would have to vote for the correct usage.

The correct usage is the first sentence above. That is perfectly normal
English, and the proposed "correction" is awkward, unacceptable, bad
writing.

See www.faqs.org, the FAQ for alt.usage.english:

Fowler and nearly every other respected prescriptivist see
NOTHING wrong with ending a clause with a preposition; Fowler
calls it a "superstition". ...