RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free

Subject: RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- adelphia -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:04:08 -0800

I get this kind of thing all the time myself, but in a slightly different form.
Because of my Elizabethan History (http://ren.dm.net) site, I usually deal with
students, not professionals, but the problem is very similar.

For anything that I can answer quickly, sure, I give the quick answer and maybe
point them to some resources if I can do so off the top of my head. However, I
won't do their homework for them, and I say so--especially when they want me to
tell them everything I know about X. Well ya know, I've already written my
school papers, and I don't have to do that any more. But I also get contacted by
authors and proto-authors who want to use me as an SME. Again, I give them a
quick answer if I have one, but otherwise, I have to point out that I am usually
paid for that much research and writing.

How about something like:

I'm so glad you liked my piece. However, in order to answer your excellent
question, I would have to go back and research it in some detail. Now, I can
spend the time doing that at <your rate here> or you can do it yourself for
free.

Or,
I'm so glad you liked my piece. However, in order to answer your excellent
question, I would have to go back and research it myself, and frankly, I have
exausted my interest in it.

You can also simply say "Thanks for the kind words" and ignore the question.
Don't give away anything more than your comfortable with.

Maggie Secara