Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!

Subject: Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:49:55 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melody Akins" <melodyakins -at- hotmail -dot- com>

> Bonnie, please don't give up. I don't mean to insult your intelligence or
> demean your efforts to find work, but have you considered choosing ten
> organizations/individuals for/with whom you'd really like to work and
> arranging 'information interviews' with them? In the interview you would
be
> free to explore their REAL requirements, and dialog with them about your
> qualifications. You could then write up the results for the rest of us!
> <grin/mace>
>
> Perhaps I'm living in a dream world, but it might work. At the very
least,
> you would have a real (as opposed to 'bureaucratic output) idea of what's
> going on in your area of interest. Beats moving.

I think your suggestion is a fine one, Melody. On first glance, however, it
just doesn't fit my particular circumstances. You see, there's a company
here that has since early September needed a pharmaceutical writer with a
chemistry background. I don't qualify for that job. There's another company
that needs an API writer, and I don't qualify for that job, either. That's
about all the jobs here, except for entry-level ones. I'm not kidding. Since
September 7, 2001, when I lost my job along with 34 others, there have been
virtually no technical writing jobs advertised, and not a single job for a
technical editor.

Bonnie Granat
bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info
http://www.editors-writers.info