Re: Technical typist?

Subject: Re: Technical typist?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:36:45 -0500

I hear you, Teresa. I worked for several years for a printer of technical and scholarly books and journals. Our head compositor, Jan, never saw an equation or table she couldn't handle. This was in the days before wysiwyg, so her interface was a keyboard connected to a paper tape punch, and she checked her work by looking at the holes in the tape. Later we put in a system with a character-display monitor, so she could at least read the raw markup language on a screen.

Needless to say, she earned considerably more than the operators who typed the rest of the material.

Dick