Re: Tracking Revs with the Naive User

Subject: Re: Tracking Revs with the Naive User
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:29:27 -0800

Justin Ressler wrote:

I am looking for a simple, but (anal retentive) efficient way of tracking
revisions with users that are not known for their computer skills.

What way can I track changes made to documentation that is convenient for
the QA individual, but useful enough for me to track document changes.
Forms, tables, hieroglyphics?

The very simplest form of tracking changes is to append a date/time stamp (usually in the header or footer) that is updated every time the document is changed. The only problem with this is that the stamp gets changed when you open the document, and it gets updated when you save the document. My way around that is, where possible, to save the email to which the document was attached, in addition to saving the document with the new date in the filename. When I work with the document, I simply save it, which updates the internal date while still showing the 'received' date in the filename. When I'm ready to send it out again, I save it with a new date in the filename.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems