RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free

Subject: RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:02:44 -0800

Steve,
It seems to me that the difference between a subscribed member of this
list asking for advice from other members of the list is that we are all
here by mutual agreement. We all voluntarily signed up. We all abide
(most of the time) by the rules of the list. We are peers here because
we want the give-and-take with people who nod knowingly when we talk
about those darned programmers/customers/managers/SMEs. These are common
assumptions we all have when we sign up for this list, and particularly
when we participate.

There are, of course, some assumptions that authors have to make when
they agree to put their e-mail addresses with an article (I assume this
is the standard of the publication). But there can be different rules
with how the author deals with requests for help from readers of the
article.

Yes, there IS an irony, I think, in the question. I don't believe at all
that it's a hypocrisy, because we have a mutual agreement to participate
in discussions about our profession. But the nature of the relationship
between Emily and her readers and Emily and everyone on this list is
different, and so the irony is allowed.

Lisa