RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free

Subject: RE: Tired of giving out technical advice for free
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:19:29 +1100

No Dick, you are misunderstanding my point. I have no intentions of charging
per answer, nor suggesting others do likewise. Matter of fact, I am the one
arguing for the free distribution of information.

I stated quite clearly at the very start of my comments that I was not even
going to remotely try to be PC. Many of you have interpreted this as
'getting hot and flustered', I can assure you I am not. I sent a small
support email to the original poster offlist in reply to her response.

My "$20" comment was enough to get you lot all up in arms, yet barely a
gnat's eyelash away we have the original problem. My comment was purely
figurative and, judging by the replies, demonstrative. I just find it
interesting you have now said "Charge the man, baby" and then "Steve, how
dare you suggest charging for advice!". They perfectly define the two sides
of the river we swim in.

I just am struggling with the hypocrisy of the original post and its
antecedant replies. I know there is no right and no wrong answer here, the
reality lies SOMEWHERE inbetween. I explored one side of the boundary of the
subject scope. So Dick and others, please don't misunderstand me. I have no
damn idea and wish to settle this for myself anyways, so it is of great
interest to me. Having no idea, I'll work away at loose ends sticking out
near the boundaries and see where they lead. And I just love putting the
hsoe on the other foot and seeing what happens...

I still think its ironical that someone is asking for free advice on whether
or not to give free advice :-)

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com