Extra's [sic] Slip

Subject: Extra's [sic] Slip
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:42:46 -0500

Hi all,

A propos of of the-advice-for-free thread, I thought I'd share a tid-bit that I ran across.

Occasionally, I find that I'm asked to produce material in addition to what I've quoted. There isn't enough work or time to quote separately from the WIP but it is evident that the work is necessary. Rather than do the work for free or even for good will, I want to charge the client.

While approving work at a printer, I saw a pad of forms entitled: EXTRA'S SLIP.

It reads, "The following circumstances or changes have resulted in extra time and materials to produce this job." There is space for Job #, Date, Customer, Explanation, Additional time, and Additional materials.
It seemed the perfect vehicle to use to justify additional charges. It is handy enough to be used to document situations as they occur and official-looking enough so they have never been refused when attached to an invoice that reflects the increase.