Re: Use of Simplified or Controlled English

Subject: Re: Use of Simplified or Controlled English
From: "Jeff Allen" <jeffrey -dot- allen -at- mycom-int -dot- fr>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:12:06 +0100

Sorry that I am late on this thread on Simplified and Controlled English.

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:42:10 -0800

"We are seriously considering the use of simplified or controlled English.
Our international audience continues to grow and we want to make certain
that our message is clearly understood and this seems a reasonable
approach."
Our research has uncovered a number of approaches and companies that purvey
products, standards, and approaches to the process. We are comfortable with
this information but are looking for feedback and details from the folks
actually involved in the process."

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:17:55 -0500

"Some larger companies (Caterpillar and Boeing included, I believe) have
found this approach to be quite effective, particularly when combined with
translation memory systems. The topic has been discussed here on techwr-l
(check the archives at www.raycomm.com) and in several STC publications over
the years."

Many large corporations, including Caterpillar, Boeing, Oracle, General
Motors, Scania, Rockwell, Rolls-Royce, etc.

Here are a list of useful links: (the papers include bibliographies with
additional resources).

CLAW96: The First International Workshop on Controlled Language Applications
(CLAW96), Leuven, Belgium: Centre for Computational Linguistics, Katholieke
Universiteit Leuven, 26-27 March 1996. See:
http://www.ccl.kuleuven.ac.be/CLAW/programme.html (this is the list of
papers presented)

CLAW98: The Second International Workshop on Controlled Language
Applications (CLAW98), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Language Technologies
Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, 21-22 May 1998. See:
http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/CLAW98/schedule-onsite.html (this is the list of
papers presented)

CLAW2000: The Third International Workshop on Controlled Language
Applications (CLAW2000), Seattle, Washington. 29-30 April 2000. See:
http://www.up.univ-mrs.fr/~veronis/claw2000 (this is the list of papers
presented and panels)

Order CLAW96, 98 and 2000 proceedings via:
http://www.controlled-language.org/

Several other resources with information relevant to implementation of
Simplified English and Controlled Language in industry.

Chervak, Steve, Drury, Colin and James Ouellette. 1996. Field Evaluation
of Simplified English for Aircraft Workcards. In Proceedings of the 10th
FAA-AAM Meeting on Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance and Inspection.
Alexandria, Virginia: January, 1996. Available at:
http://galaxyatl.com/hfami/mtng10/drury.htm

ALLEN, Jeffrey. 2000. Controlled Language -- Changing Faces. Regular
column article in International Journal for Language and Documentation
(IJLD), Issue 3, January 2000, pp. 20-21. order via: http://www.crux.be

ALLEN, Jeffrey. 2000. Taking on the Critics: Giving the Machine Equal Time:
A Reply to Hofstadter on Controlled Language and Machine Translation. In
Language International magazine, Vol 12, No 3, pp 24-25, 44-45. order via:
http://www.language-international.com

Allen, Jeffrey. 1999. Adapting the Concept of Translation Memory to
Authoring Memory for a Controlled Language Writing Environment. Paper
presented at ASLIB-TC21. Available at:
http://www.transref.org/u-articles/allen2.asp

Allen, Jeffrey. 1999. Different Kinds of Controlled Languages. In TC-Forum
magazine, volume 1-99, pp. 4-5. Available at:
http://www.tc-forum.org/topiccl/cl15diff.htm

Allen, Jeffrey and John Smart. 1999. English Language History, Controlled
English Checkers, Writing Techniques, Examples of Controlled English.
Invited talk for the annual conference of Technical Information Creation and
Distribution (TICAD), 3 November 1999, Birmingham, England. Available at:
http://www.smartny.com/download.htm

Brockmann, Daniel. 1997. Controlled Language and Translation Memory
Technology: a Perfect Match to Save Translation Cost. In TC-Forum. 4-97.
December 1997, pp. 10-11. Available at:
http://www.tc-forum.org/topictr/tr06cont.htm

MASON, Marilyn. 1999. "Past, recent and future steps in Controlled Language
applications", LE Journal (The Journal of Record for Human Language
Technology), European Commission.

Joscelyne, Andrew. 1999. A controlling interest? Simplified languages to
meet the global communication challenge. LE Journal (The Journal of Record
for Human Language Technology), European Commission. See:
http://www.hltcentral.org/usr_docs/LeJournal/F-ControllingInterest.pdf

Redmond, Lucille. 1999. The virtues of controlled language. LE Journal (The
Journal of Record for Human Language Technology), European Commission.
http://www.hltcentral.org/usr_docs/LeJournal/P-Controlledlanguage.pdf

Kamprath, Christine, Adolphson, Eric, Mitamura, Teruko and Eric Nyberg.
1998. Controlled Language Multilingual Document Production: Experience with
Caterpillar Technical English. In CLAW98 proceedings, pp. 51-61. Available
at: http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/Research/Kant/PDF/claw98ck.pdf

Mellor, Paul. 1998. The Introduction and Use of Controlled Language at
Rolls-Royce. Presented at the annual conference of Technical Information
Creation and Distribution (TICAD), 17 November 1999, Birmingham, England.

Mitamura, Teruko. 1999. Controlled Language for Multilingual Machine
Translation. Paper presented at MT Summit VII, Singapore, 13-17 September
1999. Available at:
http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/Research/Kant/PDF/MTSummit99.pdf

Mitamura, Teruko and Eric Nyberg. 1995. Controlled English for
Knowledge-Based MT: Experience with the KANT System. Paper presented at 6th
International Conference on Theoretical and Methodological Issues (TMI) in
Machine Translation. Leuven, Belgium, 5-7 July 1995. Available at:
http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/Research/Kant

Nyberg, Eric, Kamprath, Christine and Teruko Mitamura. 1998. The KANT
Translation System: from R&D to Large-Scale Deployment. In LISA Newsletter
2, no. 1 (March 1998). Available at:
http://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/Research/Kant/PDF/lisanews.pdf

Shubert, Serene, Spyridakis, Jan, Holmback, Heather and M.B. Coney. 1995.
The Comprehensibility of Simplified English in Procedures. In Journal of
Technical Writing and Communication, 25, no. 4: pp. 347-36.

Hope that helps.

Please note that my e-mail address on the CLAW2000 web page is no longer
valid.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff Allen
MYCOM France
36, rue Brunel
75017 Paris FRANCE
Tel: (+33) 1 58 05 09 40
Fax: (+33) 1 40 55 01 82
e-mail: jeffrey -dot- allen -at- mycom-int -dot- com