Re: Browser favorites and bookmarks?

Subject: Re: Browser favorites and bookmarks?
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:52:13 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 7:43 AM
Subject: Browser favorites and bookmarks?

> Edwin Wurster wonders: <<When researching a subject on the internet, how
do
> you organize important URL's that you've visited? I've downloaded a few
> utilities and tried them, but nothing I've seen so far really helps.>>
>
> I add the urls to the Favorites menu of my browser until I have time to do
> something about them. Once I have a few minutes, I add them to an HTML
page
> I've created that organizes all my bookmarks hierarchically (e.g., under
> subheadings for "dictionaries", "computers", etc.). Some day when I have
an
> hour, I'll reorganize this into something more efficient, but it works
just
> fine now as a link repository. Create that Web page in any manner that
suits
> you: use Dreamweaver, a text editor, or whatever. Just make sure it's more
> or less standard HTML so you can open it in any HTML software.

It's amazing that browsers are still so primitive. I've been thinking of
making a researchers' broswer encapsulating internet explorer and keepiing
the results in a dtabase. Keep the pages too, and check them automatically
for updates.

Then dynamically keep a favorites web page like you say, with the ability to
write a note on each web page as you tag it , view the notes with the
favorites, search the notes,a nd search all the pages or just the
interesting pages oyu have viusited in the last x days. Or forever. disk
space is cheap, and the text part of web pages is generally pretty small.

What else shoudl be in ther?