RE: How to kill morale

Subject: RE: How to kill morale
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:01:41 -0500

At 09:30 AM 2/27/02 -0800, Hart, Rowena wrote:

<...>
While I was unemployed last year I had the
opportunity to participate in a government
job assessment program. We used the "big
book" to assess our previous jobs and look
at jobs in other areas. Based on the stats
gathered in 2000, the growth potential for
tech writing was exceptionally high.
<...>

Another factor that will depress wages and salaries in the field, if past occupational markets are any indicator. IOW, those kinds of predictions encourage people to enter the labor market for techwriting, raising the number of writers competing for the same jobs. the market's disciplinary paddle doing it's thang. {hi charles! *g* who should know that some folks refer to it as sado-monetarism following Denis Healey, UK)

On a somewhat related note, the reason why the unemployment rate is comparatively low is that the _employment_ rate has been declining. Low UNemployment rates have been driven by a shrinking labor force over the past two years: between 2000-2002, the employment rate fell 2.2% which is an historically large drop.

I'd recommend Bridges' JobShift to get you out of any funk/stupor the unemployment office in MA has put you in. As someone else said, it is a good time to sink your mind into considering other kinds of work. That way, whether the predictions are true or not, you'll be prepared to move on, ahead of the curve.

kelley