Re: Are you a writer?

Subject: Re: Are you a writer?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:53:44 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

For the tech writing jobs I've been hired to do, I've gone in and learned
the product, the industry, and worked to familiarize myself with the
underlying technologies

Is that acceptable? Am I a tech writer?

Any job requires a learning period. For a tech-writer, learning the technologies should be part of that period. Of course, if you already know the technology, you usually increase your chance of getting the job in the first place - and can often negotiate a higher salary.

But your comment does remind me of an important point that nobody's really mentioned yet: the act of writing itself is often a means of understanding. That's why essays are such a large part of your grade in many university departments. The struggle to structure your thoughts often gives you insight into the subject.

But what of the freelancers

One of the skills that a good contractor offers is the ability to learn new technologies quickly. In fact, it's very hard for a contractor to be what Andrew calls an editor and survive for very long.

"It's as bad as it gets
The Surgeon General said, 'you're better off with cigarettes,'
If you must have your bad habits, why don't you stick to booze:
Love's been linked to the blues."
-David Olney, "Love's Been Linked to the Blues"