Intro

Subject: Intro
From: "Mike" <mdonschi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:10:30 -0800

Hello all. My name is Mike and I am a first-time poster.

I was recently laid-off by my employer. Over the past 15 years of my working
career, I've held a pretty varied assortment of jobs ranging from wafer fab
equipment engineer to contract administrator to software quality manager to
network engineer (read... jack of all trades, master of none). However,
recently I've been considering a career change into technical writing.

My passion is writing, but just never thought it would be possible to
actually make a living doing it. So where am I going with this, right? Well,
I'd like to humbly ask how you get started, what to expect, or perhaps just
get your career decision stories.

I have two undergraduate degrees: one in Electrical Engineering and another
in Economics with a minor in German. Up until I got laid off, I thought my
education and varied experience was my strength, but now it seems to be
sending the message "this guys doesn't really know what he wants". This may
not be far from the truth, but again, I'd love to give TW a try. Any advice
or insights is greatly appreciated.

-Mike