Re: No time to learn it all

Subject: Re: No time to learn it all
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:32:38 -0700

Andrew stated:

> You should never compromise good. If you took the time up front to really
> learn the products and technologies, you could not only work faster but you
> could also work cheaper - because you will be able to do more work.

A solid philosophy. But have you ever been put in a situation where that
was not an option? Where the deadline superceded all those nobler
considerations, and the harsh reality was that you had to get a doc out
the door by X date? Regardless of how well you knew the subject matter?

I have. And I gather I'm not alone.

So while I agree that the goal you set is a great ideal to shoot for, it's
been *my* experience that sometimes we're asked to do things that exceed
the parameters (and logic) of that ideal.

So what do YOU do? *I* grit my teeth and get something out the door,
making sure to alert my boss to my trepidations about the assignment.
Particularly in this economic climate, I would NOT "just say no."

Just as the job descriptions that HR departments create are often
inaccurate, I've also had job descriptions change after I was hired. What
do YOU do? *I* try to adapt.

If I find the changes in my responsibilities too illogical or intolerable,
I start discreetly looking for work elsewhere. But I'm more concerned in
the daily care and feeding of my daughter than I am in living up to the
Platonic Ideal of Real Tech Writing. So for the time being, I do my best,
and ALWAYS alert my boss about my concerns and fears. CYA, baby. CYA.

So I guess the question is, given these imperfect circumstances, What
Would Andrew Do? Or have you been running your own show so long that
you've forgotten what it's like to be thrown to the lions?

Respectfully,
Keith Cronin

Tech writing at its best:

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in, and you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey, and you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

- Roland Lawrence LaPrise