Re: HOW TOs?

Subject: Re: HOW TOs?
From: Michael Oboryshko <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:40:02 -0800 (PST)

My suggestion: Do exactly what your boss wants. After you are
done, go back and look at the project and think about how you
could have done it better. But keep your conclusions to
yourself, unless your boss suddenly becomes receptive.

On the other hand,your instinct to write how-to topics is a good
one. Task-oriented documentation is generally considered to be
good for non- or semi-technical end users. I say ?generally?
because I don?t know your product or your business situation, so
your boss may very well have a good reason for not wanting
how-tos.

I would be tempted to write the how-to topics anyway and
distribute them directly to the users and the development team,
and especially to the sales and marketing teams. Your boss would
have a hard time explaining to the sales team why such obviously
useful topics should be deleted from the manual.

But in your case, since you state that you are not an
experienced tech writer, you probably shouldn?t do this unless
you are sure your how-tos are really good. Also I know nothing
about boss culture in Egypt (based on your domain).

Good luck,
Mike O.

http://greetings.yahoo.com