Re: Theory vs. Practice...

Subject: Re: Theory vs. Practice...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:40:44 -0500

<<<while I aim to please a client, I'm even more concerned about living
about to my own expectations...>>>

And I commend you for your personal integrity. The best clients will
recognize it for the intangible value that it is.

Even these clients must place your *value to them* as their priority. To
paraphrase Andrew Plato: we're not hired to live up to our internal
expectations. We're hired to add value to a business.

If I'm doing that - and not misrepresenting myself - I don't apologize
for how I do it. My personal clients tell me that a.) they don't care how
I get the job done, and b.) applaud my resourcefulness.

<<<I participate in a capitalist system to survive, but at heart I'm a
bourgeois anarchist...>>>

Bruce, I know what this kind of struggle is like. I've personally placed
my personal values over my bottom line, and have no regrets in doing so.
Our only choice is to do what Geoff Hart said: "Where the situation is
sufficiently offensive, [we] have the option of taking [our] skills
elsewhere." I've done this. It's not easy. It's always works for the best
(Romans 8:28)

Which, I'll say in conclusion, is a damn good reason for being a "real
writer." You get more choice about the environment you want to work in.

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com