RE: RE: What then is the SME/TW functional relationship?

Subject: RE: RE: What then is the SME/TW functional relationship?
From: Donald -dot- H -dot- White -at- pmusa -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:52:21 -0500

The functional relationship between a SME and a TW? How about a corollary:
the functional relationship between journalist and sources? Historian and
witnesses or source material or background experts?

We write about things--things either produced, in production, or concepts of
things that may be produced. We have to define and understand those things,
so we research written materials and work with software or hardware, or
both, and we interview those who we believe have knowledge that can help us
achieve our goal. Those whom we interview we now call Subject Matter
Experts. In the process, we become Subject Matter Experts.

Why do we attempt to define the differences? Who do we know who hangs a
shingle outside of his or her cubicle or office that states: "Joe Brown,
Subject Matter Expert?"

As for who owns our product, I believe that the client (if I'm a contractor)
or the boss (if I'm an employee) owns the documents I produce. The company's
name goes on those documents; the documents represent the company (or
organization or agency). That entity owns the documents. I own what I do and
how I do what I do.

Don White
Technical Writer
dwhite -at- venturipartners -dot- com