RE: What then is the SME/TW functional relationship?

Subject: RE: What then is the SME/TW functional relationship?
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:26:56 -0500

At my company, the line between SMEs and writers is even more blurry. As
writers, we are equal participants in cross-functional development teams,
and as a result we are as much responsible for the product as the
programmers. We all sit in design meetings together. We discuss the arcane
behavior of our software application. We talk about what the user's
experience will be. We discuss, argue, and ultimately make a decision on how
things will work.

At that point, the programmers go away and write code (well, once they do a
technical specification). As writers, we go away and write documents (after
updating the functional specifications). The QA people on the team go away
and write QA test scripts. After a few weeks (with intervening meetings if
and discrepancies or glitches are discovered) we pull it all together and
see how we have done. The code gets debugged, the writers use the code to
verify that things look and operate the way they expected them to and update
their documentation accordingly, and the QA people perform rigorous testing
to ensure that both code and documents are correct.

Who in this case is the SME? It's ALL of us. Collectively we ensure that
things are designed, developed, documented and tested.

And we all share responsibility for the results.

My 2¢,

John