RE: What a predicament!

Subject: RE: What a predicament!
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:38:36 -0500

> When the stress of being a paramedic was more than I wanted to bear,
> I found a new career (tech writer). I would suggest you take a long
> look at that alternative too. Tech writing's not for everybody.

I swore I'd stay out of this thread too <g>, but...

When I read Anonymous' post, I saw a little of myself. I've never been in a
situation where I was asked to do something illegal, but I have been in
situations where someone higher up in the food chain overruled me and insisted I
do something that I felt seriously detracted from the work. If this happens
routinely over a long period of time, it's extremely stressful and frustrating.

Some of the people around me during those situations told me to lighten up, it's
just a job, do what you're told and collect your check, etc., and several
posters are telling Anonymous essentially the same thing. I appreciate their
good intentions, but not everyone can or wants to lighten up. Personally, I
never want to get to that point of apathy where I can shrug and serenely do bad
work just because someone told me to. Maybe it's an issue of temperament. (I'm
not getting into the issue of whether Anonymous's VP's demands are unreasonable
or what extent of document imitation stays within the bounds of ethics. I'm not
trying to evaluate the validity of Anonymous's viewpoint.)

Clearly Anonymous has a strong drive to do the job right and balks at doing
something he/she considers wrong. Changing fields won't change that. Anonymous
may run into the same problem in another field. Changing JOBS, however, may be a
solution. Stay in tech writing, but find a place where management lets you
follow your own sense of ethics and professional judgment. Such places exist.

good luck -
Christine