Re: FWD: What a predicament!

Subject: Re: FWD: What a predicament!
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- highsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:31:54 -0800

Hi, Anonymous:

Regardless of the opinions presented on the list about how much there is in the tech writing career, and who is suited or unsuited for it, and the uncertainty over the legality or illegality of what you've been asked to do, the fact is that you have been diagnosed with depression. This is not a trivial issue. Put your physical and mental health first. In addition to professional help, look into books, in-person support groups, and online support and information groups on depression, coping with it, and treatment of it.

Only a trained medical professional can advise you on depression. Only a trained legal professional can advise you on the legality of the requested action.

Regarding whistle-blowing: I recently heard an interview (on PBS, I think) with several whistle blowers. Some are in whistle-blower support groups. You're not imagining that it's a huge decision; they all agreed on this. Some of those interviewed, or reported on, found it impossible to avoid bringing the information public, despite having to struggle to weigh the risk and danger to themselves with what they saw as the importance of having the truth come out. Others didn't have to struggle, they were clear that they must go public.

After all these variations were presented, however, the interviewer asked the question, "Would you do it again?" While some said "yes," and others said "no," and others said "maybe," one person said it this way: "In a support group, I heard people talk about how badly they'd suffered by going public. I thought they all were talking about something recent, but it turned that some were recent, and others went back 20 years - it's with them still."

So, please consider your personal health on all levels before making any commitment.

Best regards,

Peter
Peter Gold KnowHow ProServices WebWorks University Partner WebWorks Certified
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker, FrameMaker+SGML Authoring, Acrobat, InDesign
email: (tech support) swsupport -at- highsoft -dot- com (personal) peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com
voice: (toll-free) 800.795.6066 (SF Bay Area local) 650.691.0701
For a complete list of our training class content and schedules, visit http://knowhowpro.com

At 08:56 AM 3/1/02, Anonymous wrote:

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR

I'm an experienced writer and a long-time member
of this list. In all my years of technical writing,
I have never been put in a situation like this.
[snipped]