RE: What a predicament!

Subject: RE: What a predicament!
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:29:39 -0800 (PST)

It seems this thread has taken a turn into the realm of ethics, morals, and the
conscience. I'll probably come off sounding like a moral relativist. If so,
that's because as I've gotten older things have gotten less black and white.

Each person gets to decide if this or that behavior meets their ethical or
moral standards. We've all known people who seem to have no morals and others
who were so sure of the rightness of their standards that they insist that
everyone 'must' adhere to their standards. I'm not even going to guess where
the truth lies.

I took Anon's problem at face value. Anon saw the situation as one where Anon's
sense of right and wrong was being violated, and Anon felt there was no way to
keep the job without being false to some core beliefs. Whether I agree with
Anon's assessment is a moot point. Anon is where Anon is--in depression, unable
to work at the moment, and in crisis.

The problems Anon was dealing with--whether or not to sue, whether or not to
even stay at the job, and so forth--are real life problems. It's always easier
to say what you would do in a situation you're not in. Personally, I have found
that things often look different when you're in the situation than when you are
the Color Commentator for someone else's problem. YOU may not think the
problems are either real or difficult, but they are both for Anon. I don't
think any of the moralizers on this thread have been very helpful.

And those of you who think Depression is a character weakness, well I hope you
never experience Depression. It ain't fun.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
{Your pithy comment here. Contact me to find out how <g>}

http://sports.yahoo.com