RE: It's time to go - Kevin's got it right...

Subject: RE: It's time to go - Kevin's got it right...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:16:01 -0500

Kevin Christy said:

<<<Is it possible that the strain on the list is a reflection of what's
happened to our industry over the last couple of years? I struggle
against cynicism and depression every day, as both of my family's sources
of income have been devastated. I know I'm not alone in that regard.
These are tough times, and they have been for a while now...>>>

I think Kevin is right on target.

I'm relatively new to the list, but I notice that most of the contentious
posts are on the topic of writers versus poseurs. This was *not* an issue
when everyone had plenty of work - you had your side of the street and
the other folks had theirs. You did your job your way; they did it
theirs. The checks cleared and all was right with the world.

Now these kind of discussions take place in an atmosphere were *everyone*
has to look at their relative worth (if for no other reason than your
client and/or employer are.) This is bound to incite people who are
already anxious - if not desperate - to begin with.

The *real* devil is the job market that's collapsed. Taking that on is
frightening, involves a lot of souls searching, and *forces* you to ask
questions like "am I for real or a poseur?" Perhaps *you* feel you're a
"real writer" and are somehow immune. I know for myself - in all areas of
my life - there are times when I feel I'm for real but turn out to be a
poseur, and other times I *feel* like a poseur but I actually have
something to offer. I stay up at night until 1 in the morning thinking of
these things - and sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to get back on the
horse when another job/contract *does* come along.

Knowing this, I do the following:

* if I don't think what I say will help the situation, I don't say it.
* if I think I'm just trying to one-up someone, I don't say it.
* if I think someone can say it better than me, I don't say it.
* if I think I've been put down by someone, I realize that 99.9 percent
of the time *that* poster is rude by nature and that most others on the
list feel the same. I don't have to say anything.
* Let Eric do what he does best. This is a well moderated list; and Eric
handles trouble as it should be handled.

My request:

* By all means, say what you have to say. Just keep in mind that:

a.) if you have an axe to grind, it's obvious - and gets in the way of
legitimate contributions.

These individuals go off into non-sequiters, and see everyone as either
in their camp, or as "an enemy of the state." Somewhere in their
argument, they'll find a way to put you in the enemy camp if you disagree
with them.

b.) if you're trying to show the world how smart and savvy you are, it's
obvious as well.

These kinds of posts are filled with cliches, opinions stated as facts,
and facts stated as opinions. These ingredients are sauteed in self
importance and an "I've got my shittake together" attitude. Cut into the
casserole, however, and you'll find minor achievements and/or a person
you'd just rather not know.

c.) the minute you open your mouth on any subject, you show someone who
really knows the topic how much or how little you really know.

These kind of people know this quote comes from Napolean Hill's "Think
and Grow Rich."

>From Napolean Hill to Rodney King: "Can't we all get along?

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836