RE: THANKS! Re: It's time to go

Subject: RE: THANKS! Re: It's time to go
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:04:12 +0100

Eric J. Ray said:

"It's become impossible to ping everyone who is rude oroffensive on
list--there aren't enough hours in the
day. And, most days, the time that I get to spend with TECHWR-L isn't spent
in answering questions or providing comments--it's spent as an arbiter or
worse.

I'd rather discuss real topics, but find that impossible most of the time,
because of the personal issues that people involve me in, or because of the
complaints about various grievances. "

And he asked what comments or suggestions we might have.

I think Eric Dunn made a great point when he said:
"If anybody else on the list is listening, I think we are all responsible."

Eric and Deb have been facilitating a way for us to meet, learn and assist.
I don't believe it is in anybody's interest for them to "police" us. It
seems to me that the only way that this (or any) list can have the
constructive and positive dynamic I think most of us want is by taking
responsibility for our own actions. The list as a whole is simply made up
of all the individual parts that are its participants. Each one of us. It
is difficult to control others, but much easier to control ourselves.

As I reread this, I recognise that the tone may sound a bit preachy, but
that isn't my intention at all. I want to say only that if the majority of
us want a respectful and positive list, and each of us commit ourselves to
behaving in a way that reflects the list-culture we want (regardless of the
behavior of others), the culture of the list will, for the most part, be
respectful and positive.

So, my suggestion is: Let's each start with ourselves.

www.ehelp.com/techwr