Re: FWD: What a predicament!

Subject: Re: FWD: What a predicament!
From: Sandra -dot- Friend -at- cbs -dot- fiserv -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:29:25 -0500

Anon,
I went through a similar situation some seven years ago, while a systems
analyst. The higher-ups kept asking me to behave unethically, and I would
not. Like you, I went on leave for depression. After a couple of months
of immersing myself in quiet time and taking a course in children's
writing, I decided it was about time I left the job -- and the career --
permanently. I found a similar job, contracting, before my medical leave
was up, and started a transitition to writing as a career. Within the next
year, I wrote my first book.

Should you blow the whistle? It would feel good, but it would ruin your rep
with future prospects.
Should you sue? The same dilemma. Better to just walk away. Yes, it'll
feel like crap for a while. But you'll get over it, and better to just get
away from the situation than to continue to subject yourself to a struggle
between your need for income and your values. Values count more.

What my ex-employers didn't realize is all the great material they bestowed
upon a budding novelist.... :-)

Cheers, Sandy

Sandra Friend
Technical Writer