RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: RE: Knowledge Management
From: Ruth Lundquist <RLundquist -at- prosarcorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:20:51 -0600

I first posted this in early 1999 (hard to believe) in response to a
specific question from a list member, so it now appears dated. But for those
of you seeking basic knowledge of KBs, you may find this useful. I haven't
check the links, so they may no longer be valid. Also, if you'd like
detailed information about how we implemented a customer support knowledge
base at a prior job I held, search the archives for year=1997 & use search
word "knowledgebase":

Some of you are aware of the field of Knowledge Management (KM), but if you
are not, I would like to share a little information with you. This is an
emerging (but not new) field that writers are born for. KM seeks to capture
and distribute information within an organization. Put very simply, it is
providing the right information, to the right people, at the right time,
using the right tools. (Sounds sort of familiar, right?) The difference is
that this is more than simply providing product documentation. It is
imparting knowledge that helps in developing business strategies. The
knowledge/information comes from many sources and can be used by many
different people to accomplish a number of different things.

Businesses are seeing the value of--get this--content! That is why you're
starting to see more and more Chief Information Officers guiding decisions
about gathering and delivering information, both internally and externally.
Here are a number of links if you're looking for more information:

Knowledge Management Theory & Examples
http://strategies.dci.com/
KB Strategies
http://www.montague.com/
The Montague Institute
http://www.cio.com/
CIO Magazine
http://www.ktic.com/topic6/km.htm
Knowledge Management Magazine
http://www.brint.com/km/
Virtual Library of KM Resources
http://www.brint.com/wwwboard/messages/2899.html
KM & Content Creation
<http://www.webcom.com/quantera/circuit.html>
Knowledge Management White Papers
<http://www.guidancecom.com/kbase/kbase.htm>
The Knowledge Base Knowledge Base
<http://www.cadnet.com/>
KB Example

Knowledge Base/Customer Support Tools
There are many, but here are a few:
http://www.clientele.com/
Clientele Software
http://www.inference.com/
Inference Corporation
http://www.primus.com/
Primus Corporation
http://www.remedy.com/
Remedy Software
http://www.dksystems.com/
DK Systems

Ruth
Not just another "ego-aggrandized consultant" although that does sound like
fun! Is there some type of certification one can get in eo-aggrandizement?
=^)

www.ehelp.com/techwr