RE: Parroting? Not!

Subject: RE: Parroting? Not!
From: "Farwell, Peter" <peter -dot- farwell -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:52:43 -0700

This was reinforced last night at the first session of a class on "Systems
Analysis". The instructor, a former systems analyst for Qwest, asked what we
thought were the most important qualities of a systems analyst. Lots of
answers such and "good communicator" and "analytical mind" were thrown into
the mix. I finally added, "You might want to ask them what they actually do
and then listen carefully to the response." He paused for effect and smiled.
Guess who's the new teacher's pet?

Active listening is the term I learned for paraphrasing back to a person my
perception of what they said. It has value in helping you understand complex
problems as well as creating trust and rapport. It has also kept me happily
married. :-)

Peter Farwell

www.ehelp.com/techwr