Re: ClearCase

Subject: Re: ClearCase
From: Victoria Camgros <vcamgros -at- persistence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:11:25 -0800

At 05:15 PM 3/6/2002 -0700, Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646) wrote:

Anyone else using Rational ClearCase for documentation management and
control?

We use ClearCase. It's a little tricky, but very powerful. I think it's better at dealing with code than with documentation files, but you can use it just fine.

The first snag is that, if your pubs tool produces anything but flat text (as does FrameMaker), you cannot do merges. This means that you can't use branches to have more than one writer working on the same file at the same time. You have to use the same branch for all contributors to the docs.

The other potential snag that immediately comes to mind is the operating system issue. Where is your ClearCase server software running? Do you have the same OS on your desktop? If not, wackiness might ensue.

We have UNIX servers, but Wintel desktops. We can access the ClearCase VOBs either throught Windows (a GUI) or through a telnet UNIX session. Those with more experience or savvy may disagree with me here, but some commands work better on Windows, some better on UNIX. Generally, I do all basic stuff (check in, check out, add to source control) in Windows. But if I have to do anything more chancy (remove a file, change its name, move its location), I use a telnet session.

Feel free to contact me directly if you think I can be of more help.

V.

www.ehelp.com/techwr