RE: ClearCase

Subject: RE: ClearCase
From: "Richard Smith" <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:44:48 -0800

To add to the thread, I think one of the biggest conceptual differences
between ClearCase and VSS is the concept of a working area. In VSS, you copy
checked out files to a working area (a local dir, or perhaps a network
mount), you work on them, and then check them back in. In Clear Case,
checked out files stay in the same place as where you checked them out from.
So if a file sits in M:\my view\docs\mydoc.txt, and you check it out, it'll
be checked out, but in the same location. ClearCase indicates that the file
is no longer a version, but a view-private file. So other people looking at
the file see the checked out version, but not your changes until you check
back in. Once you do, it is no longer in View-private storage, but is a
versioned element once again. There is no seperate working space.

As for procedures and processes, clearcase is very flexible, and handling of
policies is really left up to your clear case administrators. It is billed
as a complex product, and surely it can handle complex problems, but for the
average user, it is no more difficult than VSS.

--
Richard

www.ehelp.com/techwr