Re: Help on quotations and invoices

Subject: Re: Help on quotations and invoices
From: peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 07:31:51 -0500

On Thursday 07 March 2002 06:55 am, Frank W.Semrau wrote:
> I have a somewhat off-topic question regarding quotations and invoices.
> As a native German freelancing technical writer/translator I now have a new
> international customer who requires quotations and invoices in English.
> Does anybody know about links where to get help on this topic. For example,
> what are be basic parts of quotes and invoices, or even some sample
> templates?

Quotes are nothing more than telling them what you are going to do and how
much you will charge and the timing of your payments. Using a template can be
a mistake because you should be specific about exactly what you plan to do,
in order to avoid disputes later. It is not uncommon for extras, (items that
were not contemplated by either aprty at the time you started the contract.,)
to arise as any job progresses.  Legitimate disputes sometimes arise about
hwat is an extra. Example of extras: A carpenter agrees to put up a shell for
a building. The nails would not be extras. After he starts the foundation
must be adjusted. That would be an extra, as would the carpenter's time
waiting for the foundation to be completed.

An invoice is simply a request for payment for what you did. It should simply
state what work ws performed, how much the agreement calls for you to be paid
and why you should be paid.

Peter

www.ehelp.com/techwr