ranges in index entries

Subject: ranges in index entries
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:14:22 -0500

Does anyone use page ranges in their index entries?

Instead of an entry like:
- servlet mappings 10,18,103

you would have an entry like:
- servlet mappings 10-12, 18, 103

I know ranges are much more helpful for the user when scanning an index, but in the world I live in (of rapid cutting/pasting/writing/rewriting) they are too difficult to implement because they would get broken all the time. I would love to hear some techniques that people employ to use range markers in their index entries and lived to tell about it.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >