RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel

Subject: RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:26:09 -0600

Annamarie,

My first comment is to say that doing something
immediately is important - you're on the right
track there. If your problem persists, get
medical attention; untreated CT can lead to
permanent nerve damage.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me - I have
an MS ergo keyboard and mouse. I was working on
some detailed technical illustrations for several
weeks, which of course was done completely "by mouse",
and started to have pain in my right hand. Though
minor at first, the pain got bad enough that I
started mousing left-handed (I'm fairly ambidextrous).

Two things have helped minimize the discomfort,
although I was told that it will never completely
subside. I switched from a mouse to a trackball -
it took a bit of getting used to, but if you use it
whole-handed, you'll see an immediate improvement. I
also bought (for about $7) a fingerless glove
designed especially for CT sufferers that I wear
whenever I'm at the computer. So far, I have been
able to work (most days) at my normal pace with
a minimum of discomfort.

And of course, if your CT is really a result of
using the mouse, take some time to learn those
keyboard shortcuts!

HTH

Dan

Dan Hall