RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel

Subject: RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:58:19 -0500

I found a couple of things that helped me:

- different pointing device at home versus at work
(means I exercise different muscles rather than
same grip 14 hours per day :-)

- contoured, sloped, asymmetrical mice
(i.e., for natural hand resting position)
like my cordless optical are a big improvement
over the generic soap-bar mice

My Logitech track ball at the office is pretty
good, but the other one (that my wife is now
using) that let me pinch the ball between thumb
and finger, gave better fine control than the
one that is thumb-only.

I've tried somebody's Wacom tablet and liked it
very, very much, with it's "natural" pen/stylus
interface, not to mention the ease of drawing
pictures... However, I'm waiting to get my own
until I'm sure it'll be properly supported in
SuSE Linux.

That said, I find that I truly DIS-like the little
touch-pads on many laptops (the eraser-nub thingies
are hardly better...). Besides, even if you COULD
use them with a pen/stylus, their surface is too small
for comfortable fine work.

Finally, I initially tried all kinds of machinations
with my keyboards when I first started having wrist,
hand and forearm (even elbow, for a while) problems,
and some of them gave slight improvements. However,
I've since determined that, for me, 99% of the problem
was with mousing, and NOT after all, with the keyboard[s].

YMMV.

/kevin

www.ehelp.com/techwr