RE: Green TW searching for software advice

Subject: RE: Green TW searching for software advice
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:40:40 +1100

Technical writing on the internet. Hmmm. Almost mutually exclusive.

Web writing is one thing. _Some_ small portion of tech writing sees it
through to the Internet. A slightly larger portion - growing every day
natch - of tech writing sees an intranet.

If you are interested in writing for the web, then yes, Dreambeaver and
Flashy Lights are probably the best tools to master as you can supplement
your words with the prerequiste plugins.

If you are interested in technical writing, start writing your style guide
and documentation procedures manuals now, use damn notepad and separate
files for each topic, sorted by folders until you realise that Word is far
cheaper to buy for yourself and get started on learning anything a major WP
has in it. Let alone join a tertiary education course and use your student
card to get a student copy for stuff all.

The hardest thing about tech writing is the writing. It's nice to know your
tool, but give me note pad and I can give you usable doco.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
HDK List MVP
For Questions regarding MS-Word please use the MS news servers or a mailing
list in preference to heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com -dot- Ideally, post to
msnews.microsoft.com and send me an email to go answer it.