Re: Green TW searching for software advice

Subject: Re: Green TW searching for software advice
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:07:20 -0800 (PST)

"Tamara" <pnkrkbch -at- unm -dot- edu> wrote

> I realize that my question was general.
>
> This was not without reason: I am currently studying technical writing at
> the University of New Mexico, where the technical writing program is a tad
> undeveloped. I feel a little under-educated about the reality of the world
> of technical writing. Any education regarding resume-boosting software,
> which could would allow me to somehow get a job is completly up to me.

Why not get some resume-boosting technology experience rather than tool skills.

Tools are easy to learn, technology isn't. You can overstate your skill with a
tool on your resume and cover your tracks a lot easier than if you overstate
your technical skills.

> I would like to know what aspects can help me in my ventures out into the
> real technical writing world. As Shea said "tools that are marketable",
> would be a good focus for my question.

I'd skip the tools for now and get a more solid foundation of technology
experience. You say you want to write for the Internet...okay, well how does
the Internet work? If you expect to write documentation on technical subjects,
you have to know those subjects.

Furthermore, once you have a basic foundation of technical skills, learning the
tools will be easy.

Andrew Plato

http://sports.yahoo.com/

www.ehelp.com/techwr