RE: web animation

Subject: RE: web animation
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:20:38 -0600

Don't use them.

Well, maybe for a personal site for practice, but I have yet to see them used in a productive manner for anything other than an entertainment site. They can be annoying, slow down the reader's progress through the site (especially Flash), and can cause some serious accessibility problems if you use them as part of the navigation.

Oh, and whatever you do, please don't use any sound that starts automatically. If this is a technical site, your readers are likely to be sitting in cubicles with neighbors that don't want to hear a midi file of the latest Britney Spears tune every time your page is accessed. I have also seen sound files that were incorrectly implemented actually crash a browser.

Then there are issues of copyright and of accessibility for the hearing impaired if the sound is giving necessary information. Sound also takes a while to load. On a dialup connection, an MP3 file can take 10 minutes per minute of sound to load, and the average MP3 (128 kbps) is only 1/11th the size of an equivalent wav file.