RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: RE: Knowledge Management
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:21:48 -0500

> Knowledge Management is nothing more that some
> stupid consultant craze telling firms to do
> what they already should be doing -
> documenting their products and technologies.

Except, nobody gets around to documenting the stuff "that
everybody knows." So, when personnel change, nobody knows
it anymore.
Also, after the subcontractor writes a document and moves
on, the people left behind can't find it or can't find the
document it references or can't find ...
Knowledge Management tries to establish processes that
formalize the capture and preservation of institutional
memory so that, as the organization and personnel change,
knowledge will not be lost or hidden.
As with any process, we must ask, "Is it worth all
that overhead cost?"
For most of us, probably not.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

www.ehelp.com/techwr