Re: Concurrent Versions System and Best Practices

Subject: Re: Concurrent Versions System and Best Practices
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:09:10 -0800

Ganesh Kabadi wrote:

I'm a Junior Technical Writer working onsite, and (is a comma before
an 'and' correct usage?) I noticed, a Senior Engineer who just joined
here likes to advise me on my job :) I use Microsoft Word and he
mentioned CVS and Best Practices to me today. I don't know if there
have been threads on these earlier. I checked and didn't find much.
Can you guys advise me on these? Some interesting links will help
too. Is using CVS a standard practice in the US? What is Best
Practices and where should I look for material for educating myself
on them. Your inputs are solicited.

CVS is a command line tool, and free software. It's fairly widely used world-wide, especially on UNIX and Linux, for version control for software. I haven't heard of it used too often for documentation, but it is done; in fact, I may be using it myself soon on a project. You can find out how to use it by typing "man cvs" or "info cvs" on a UNIX/Linux system (without the quotation marks). If you prefer hardcopy, I recommend O'Reilly's "CVS Pocket Reference."

In this context, "Best Practices" is probably just an engineer's way of saying, "using CVS is a good thing to do."

"The following morning, the headlines were tall,
'Really, it was inevitable,
Mister Dumpty was drunk when he fell from the wall,
He was already cracked, and shell-shocked and all.'"
- Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed"

www.ehelp.com/techwr