Re: Next weeks Techwr-l poll?

Subject: Re: Next weeks Techwr-l poll?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:58:59 -0800

Dan Hall wrote:

editing presentations before they're given by
non-writers? If I had time, I'd shoot for the
chance to review training slides before they "go
public."

People have already commented on the over-use of Dreamweaver, Flash and other plug-ins. At the risk of cementing my reputation as a curmudgeon, I'd add slide presentations to the list. Many people now feel that they can't address a meeting without four or five dozen slides. All too often, everybody has seen the templates before. Even more often, the slides are redundant. And don't get me started about the number of block diagrams that over-simplify complex abstract relations.

Having stood in front of a classroom for over a decade, I feel confident in saying that, if you can't wow the crowd with your ideas and your delivery, a series of mediocre slides won't save you.

Handouts, on the other hand, at least distract the lynch mob by giving its members something to doodle on. :-)

"The following morning, the headlines were tall,
'Really, it was inevitable,
Mister Dumpty was drunk when he fell from the wall,
He was already cracked, and shell-shocked and all.'"
- Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed"

www.ehelp.com/techwr