RE: is it really that uncommon?

Subject: RE: is it really that uncommon?
From: Christine Gonzales <christine -dot- Gonzales -at- medstat -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:59:53 -0500

<For the same reason most of us wouldn't walk into a
boardroom and yell that word in front of our peers. It's
unprofessional to use it in a venue like this, and like has been pointed out
can get recipients in trouble.> bryan.westbrook

It is really that uncommon? Here, it is very common for the words to come
flying out. The folks I work with are passionate, and always pressed to meet
deadlines. People tend to say things how they feel and political correctness
and politeness are out the window. This is a large corporation, not a small
environment at all.
I personally don't use bad language but I find that meetings are very
effective when people are straightforward and express what they really
think. I came from a place where the people were so concerned about being
politically correct and nice, that meeting were ineffective and usually just
lead to talking behind the back of folks after the meeting anyway.

In my first meeting here people were yelling, cussing and expressing what
they really thought. {Yes, my mouth was open in shock} However decisions
were made, problems were solved, and the project stayed on schedule.
Everyone walked out content.
After the meeting, I asked my boss if that was normal. She said, "that was a
pretty good meeting, it went well, it wasn't heated at all."

Christine Gonzales
Technical Writer
The MEDSTAT Group

The viewpoint reflected in this communication does not necessarily
reflect the viewpoint of The MEDSTAT Group

www.ehelp.com/techwr