Re: Master/sub DOC to PDF glitch

Subject: Re: Master/sub DOC to PDF glitch
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:47:27 -0800

Susan Jelus wrote:

> The first time I tried to create the .pdf, I used Acrobat 4. The Table of
> Contents links (created automatically in Word) didn't work, but the Acrobat
> Bookmarks in the side panel did. I upgraded to Acrobat 5, hoping that
> would solve the problem. Now all the links sort of work. But they take you
> to the BOTTOM of the first page of the appropriate section. You have to
> scroll up to see the title at the top of the page.

We've noticed (to our profound disappointment) that Acrobat 5 TOC and index links don't take you to the top of a page (as in earlier versions) but to a specific location on a page (like HTML).

In other words, if your TOC contains a listing like this:

Chapter 1: Welcome to FooMaster 3000.............1
Audience........................................1
Key concepts....................................2

...and you click on the "Audience" link, Acrobat jumps to the point halfway down page 1 where the Audience heading appears.

That might seem like a good idea, and people expect it in HTML (which often has long pages that go way beyond the boundary of a single screen). But it really stinks in a PDF file that simply represents a book. In a book, references to page numbers always "take you" to the top of the page--it's up to you to scroll down to the appropriate location.

An additional problem is that (as with HTML) Acrobat can't scroll all the way to a location that's close to the bottom of the document. The result is that you never know how close to the target you'll actually be when you click on a link.

I *vastly* prefer the old method of Acrobat 4, in which every TOC and index link just took you to the top of the page.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr