RE: documentation validation

Subject: RE: documentation validation
From: "Mike Frasciello" <MJFrasci -at- uc -dot- syr -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:29:42 -0500

Catherine makes an excellent point here - that of the bottleneck. One of
the pitfalls of working closely with another group in the development
process is reliance on deliverables from and to that group. Independence
from the development process does have its advantages, particularly when
the release date slips and deadlines are missed. But as Catherine notes,
the relationship can work and benefit all groups and individuals

Michael J. Frasciello
Technology Editor

Syracuse University
Technology-enhanced Instructional Solutions
700 University Ave.
Syracuse, NY

Phone 315-443-5502
FAX 315-443-2035
mjfrasci -at- uc -dot- syr -dot- edu

>>> "Ednie, Catherine" <CEdnie -at- Eventra -dot- com> 03/22/02 02:17PM >>>

>>alliance with our internal software QA department

I've worked at two software companies and both were set up this way. I
report to the head of QA and I send all manuals to QA for review.
"Bugs" in
the manuals are tracked similarly to bugs in the software, after the
release. I think it's a very beneficial alliance as long as the timing
releases does not create bottlenecks in QA. It's also helpful for the
department because they get very familiar with the contents of the
documentation and use it for training, test development, and answering
questions about the software which boomerang back to them. I like the
a lot.

Catherine Ednie, Technical Publications
eventra, Inc.
203-882-9988 ext. 2610