Re: Use of Photos in Documentation

Subject: Re: Use of Photos in Documentation
From: peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:31:41 -0500

On Friday 22 March 2002 07:56 pm, Barbara Yanez wrote:
> Are there any legalities to using photos (of people) in documentation? The
> software that I am documenting is one which facilitates the processing of
> police lineups (mugshots, etc.) In order to "showcase" the software, we
> want to show the photos, to show their great quality. One of our clients, a
> police department, gave us some records to work with/"play" with in testing
> the software.. I would like to include these photos, or some photos in the
> documentation.

The last time I looked one cannot, without violating rights to privacy, use
images of people for commercial purposes, without their permission. Would you
like what might very well be an unflattering picture of you floating all over
the place? What gives you the right to use mug shots? They were taken for
legitimate law enforcement purposes, not to make life easy for your company.
Even convicted criminals are still people and entitled to privacy protection.
You say that the use in in-house people is too much work, I say tough darts,
ace. Try taking pictures of the police and getting their permission.
Check with you legal and moral counsel for what is right and wrong. The rule
may vary in your jurisdiction. Do not rely on opinions of posters on this, or
any other list. Such reliance would not be in the best interests of your
company.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold, or thrusting a
despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr