Re: Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)

Subject: Re: Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:00:24 -0600

At 11:01 AM -0500 3/25/02, Cowan, Margie wrote:

Need some advice ...

When writing a document, which is scientifically numbered, does each heading
need an introductory paragraph before having the next subnumber ... e.g., if
I have roman "I" doesn't it need a paragraph/sentence that introduces 1.1
and 1.2 ... doesn't 1.1 need an intro paragraph/sentence before 1.1.1 and
1.1.2

I've always written with the introductory paragraph ... but that "necessity"
has been called into question

Also ... what is the rule for numbered headings not being "orphaned". By
that I mean, can you have a 1.1 without a 1.2? I've always contended that
there need to be at least 2 or it really shouldn't be broken out as a
separate item.

Many thanks for your help.

I have always maintained that if you have a paragraph head that is numbered, then it needs some text below it. Another heading makes no sense, much as having 1.1 without a 1.2. Why the granularity when there is no differentiation taking place?

Scott

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr