Re: Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)

Subject: Re: Scientfically numbered documents (Gov. manuals)
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:05:38 -0700

> When writing a document, which is scientifically numbered, does each
heading
> need an introductory paragraph before having the next subnumber ... e.g.,
if
> I have roman "I" doesn't it need a paragraph/sentence that introduces 1.1
> and 1.2 ... doesn't 1.1 need an intro paragraph/sentence before 1.1.1 and
> 1.1.2
>
> I've always written with the introductory paragraph ... but that
"necessity"
> has been called into question

We always have an introductory paragraphs -- sometimes it's a single
sentence -- between Hdg 1 and Hdg 2. I don't if there is a "right" way, so
the necessity claim is tough to answer. Ideally, the text directly under
the Heading 1 can act as a basic description of that chapter's content.

> Also ... what is the rule for numbered headings not being "orphaned". By
> that I mean, can you have a 1.1 without a 1.2? I've always contended that
> there need to be at least 2 or it really shouldn't be broken out as a
> separate item.

I agree with you. What is the point of a heading 2 if it's the only content
of the entire chapter? Keep it as the Heading 1 content. If there are no
natural breaks in the content of the chapter, it's all under one heading --
Heading 1.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/