Re: How to look good in your customer's eyes

Subject: Re: How to look good in your customer's eyes
From: Joanne Grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:13:59 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> But I still think setting "low" expecations is icky.
> Maybe a better way to look at it would be set "reasonable"
> expectations and then strive to exceed them.

As someone who lives by "on time and under budget", I always try
to give clients better than they expect. Sometimes that means
factoring in "whoops" time without calling it that. I would never
think of underpromising at a ridiculous level, but sometimes you
need to make sure that there is time to finish even if something
doesn't go as planned.

Then, if there is extra time (yeah, right) you can doubly please
the customer by being finished in time, or taking that extra time
to do something a little more spectacular, if the client likes
that idea.

I don't think it's so much setting low expectations as it is
knowing all the gotchas to factor in. Too often Murphy's law will
get you if you don't.

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

Zen is the madman yelling "If you wanta tell me that the stars
are not words, then stop calling them stars!" - Jack Kerouac

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/