Re: How to look good in your customer's eyes

Subject: Re: How to look good in your customer's eyes
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:21:13 -0800 (PST)

--- Joanne Grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com> wrote:

> Andrew Plato wrote:
>
> > But I still think setting "low" expecations is icky.
> > Maybe a better way to look at it would be set "reasonable"
> > expectations and then strive to exceed them.
>
> As someone who lives by "on time and under budget", I always try
> to give clients better than they expect. Sometimes that means
> factoring in "whoops" time without calling it that. I would never
> think of underpromising at a ridiculous level, but sometimes you
> need to make sure that there is time to finish even if something
> doesn't go as planned.

I don't see anything wrong with factoring in the likelyhood that
unexpected issues can crop up at certain points and to let the
customer KNOW that you are including them. This is not so much
"whoops" time, as much as it is experience that issues come up and
need to be factored in. It is only the inexperienced or stupid who
don't do this.

In fact, if sopmeone is doing something for me or prior to my part of
the process and they don't include this, I become suspect of their
ability and their ability to deliver their "stuff" ontime.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/31
Resume: http://www.tdandw.com/Resume_Posada_022202.doc