RE: migrating from Framemaker to XML/XSLT

Subject: RE: migrating from Framemaker to XML/XSLT
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:39:40 -0000

The only advice I can offer is: Develop your patience. I applaud your
early-adoptive strategy, and definitely think this is a wise solution to
your particular problem, but, in a word, yowza. I hope you've either got
some technically-savvy writers or some sympathetic developers kicking
around. Given the relatively new state of XML/XSLT tools (and in
particular, those for the doc-writing types), this won't be easy and
will require a whole heck of a lot of patience and, I expect,
considerable kludging.

That said, it'd be really cool to have all of your docs in XML files
that you could instantly deliver in many forms to many people, thanks to
XSLT and the like.

I haven't tried this, but one of our products is an XSLT-generator.
Basically, you map XML schemas to other schemas (or SOAP messages or
DTDs or whatever) and generate XSLT, which you can then deploy to
transform XML documents. This might not be of much use for you guys
(it's more for EAI and Web Services and the like), but while documenting
it I did learn how fussy XSLT and its gloomy cousin Xpath is. Thanks.
DB.

Zack Brown (whose name sounds like a secret identity) wrote...

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr