Re: Companies using DOS or Windows 3.1

Subject: Re: Companies using DOS or Windows 3.1
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:38:39 -0800

Geoff Purchase wrote:

Just because technology is available does not mean it must be used. Why
spend $AU2500 per person for a new system that will only give a 0.05%
productivity improvement per person.That does not make economic sense.

In a way, I have to admire people who haven't climbed up on the upgrade treadmill. Not too many people have the courage to resist consumerism. And, recently, there's less and less reason to upgrade. Not only are there fewer and fewer new features worth having, but early adapters are used as beta testers, and actually suffer inconvenience when they upgrade.

On the other hand, there has been some improvement in interfaces in the last decade, so avoiding upgrades can mean suffering inconvenience, too. The program that I mentioned in my first post was written in 1988, and it is extremely awkward to use. It costs more to program because it requires workarounds, and more to implement because it requires a thin client to run on a modern machine. So there's not much economic sense at the other extreme, either.

Would it be nice to have constant upgrades and run on the bleeding edge?

Not to gloat (okay, to gloat, then - I'm not fooling anyone), but you can have that for free with Linux. I don't usually bother myself, but I do know many people who upgrade their kernel every time a new one comes out - that is, every few weeks on an average. Usually, they upgrade the rest of the software at the same time. In fact, in Debian, you can upgrade your entire system while continuing to use it.

"A river follows the path of least resistance, and that's why the river is crooked."
- Utah Phillips

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr