Re: Getting Started as an Independent Contractor

Subject: Re: Getting Started as an Independent Contractor
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:02:47 -0800

Victoria Whitehorne wrote:

I was wondering if any of you independent contractors would share how you
got started.
I am not trying in any way to put you down, but please excuse me if I say that your question confounds me as much as if someone had asked how I started walking. I just started, that's all. I contacted a lot of companies, collected a lot of rejections, and, eventually, started working steadily. I didn't do or have anything special (unless it was the lack of intelligence to know when to quit).

Getting started as a contractor requires the same skills as looking for a permanent job. The only difference is that, as a contractor, you use those skills more often. If you have found work as a technical writer, then you have everything you need to start as a contractor.

"A river follows the path of least resistance, and that's why the river is crooked."
- Utah Phillips

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!

Getting Started as an Independent Contractor: From: Victoria Whitehorne