Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Jim Morgan" <Jim -dot- Morgan -at- portalplayer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:25:08 -0800

My problem with answering this question is the definition of the word
"competent." After a variety of jobs in government and business, I am
more convinced than ever that most people are not "competent." I've
raised this issue with various people I respect, and invariably get
deluged with stories of stupidity in the workplace. The Peter
Principle--to paraphrase, "in a hierarchy, people rise to their level of
incompetence"--seems to live everywhere.

This raises the question of how one measures competence.
Merriam-Webster's says the word means "having requisite or adequate
ability or qualities." But if "most people" are "incompetent" by the
connotation shared by people I respect--that is, if most people don't
have adequate ability for the jobs they are in--then for us, "competent"
really means "above average!"

Do I have "adequate ability" for my job? Yes. Am I "above average?"
Questionable. So am I "competent?" Dunno.

Jim--who believes all you have to do to succeed is be reasonably ethical
and reasonably competent.

Jim Morgan
Technical Communications Mgr.
PortalPlayer, Inc.